Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ava’s Box

It's weird the little things in your day that make it sink in that you've got a baby on the way. The positive pregnancy test was one thing, but that first moment doesn't even come close to letting you realize the gravity of what's going on.

BabyCar's slightly (adorably) protruding belly is a good reminder, but still doesn't quite do the whole thing justice. I still get caught off guard every once in a while when I walk past that little belly. It takes some getting used to, and it will certainly get a lot bigger before it gets any smaller.

But what really did it for me happened earlier today. I was cleaning the house, which I do about every eleven hours because I have three dogs and a currently muddy backyard.

It was the usual routine:

Dog toys go over here.

Laundry goes over there.

BabyCar's crap goes in a pile on her desk.

Dishes go in the dishwasher.

More of BabyCar's crap goes in a new pile by her desk.

Mop floors.

BabyCar's charity stuff goes in another pile by her desk (she's so giving). Wait, no room. New pile. On the shelf.

Dust.

You get the idea.

Only this time, I kept finding stuff that had no home – free sample baby bottles, tiny cute outfit from my Mom, head start pack of diapers.

The soon-to-be nursery is our used-to-be office, so it is still full of officey junk and an absolute TON of books (from back when we used to read stuff).

Anyway, the nursery isn't quite baby ready, so we have a little box in the hallway, about half-full of Ava's few belongings.

It makes me smile like a jackass every time I look at it.

No comments: